Sunday, January 10, 2010

Please send me your faults


I want your list of faults! What do you hide, what do you consider weak, what embarrasses or shames you, what do you wish would go away, or wish that you could change about yourself?

Some of mine: My perceived lack of success, always feeling broke, that I don't earn more money doing what I love (making art and teaching), my skin's dryness, slackness and bumpiness, the bunion on my right foot...and I'm just getting warmed up!

I was inspired by listening to a Speaking of Faith podcast of Xavier Le Pichon: "one of the world's leading geophysicists, as well as a compelling spiritual thinker. [He discussed] the meaning of what we call "humanity" through his discoveries in plate tectonics," describing the earth's fault lines as a fundamental aspect of the earth as a living, changing organism. Likewise, in humans, it is through our weaknesses that we connect with each other, and create community.

The faults you send me will be gathered and arranged by my friend and collaborator, Robert Metrick into a sung performance for my upcoming installation A Porous Space, at College of DuPage Gahlberg Gallery in June, 2010.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

One of my faults is that, apart from Facebook, I am practically invisible to the technological eye through my long-standing lack of a website. What does my procrastination reveal? Fear of failure/success?

Please post a link to that speaking of faith broadcast, I want to hear this geophysicist!

xo
Paola

January 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Mirabee (Mira Bartok) said...

My faults: excessive underarm flab, my difficulty in understanding the history of rock and roll made by white guys, my difficulty in saying NO, my lack of Spanish, the way I leave a circle of crumbs everywhere I go, my lack of short-term memory, the way I'm too quick to judge, my carnivorous appetites,my fear of playing music in public, and my potty mouth at inappropriate times. That's all for today! Cheers, Mira

January 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM  
Blogger Deborah Boardman said...

My faults: I am slow to figure things out. I am too skinny. I am gullible. I am irritable. I am too serious. I am not serious enough. I am a bad friend. I am the master of nothing. I am selfish.

Craig

January 21, 2010 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Alan and Deidre said...

My faults:
I am guarded and as a result sometimes take things too literally and miss the humor. I am afraid of failure and of taking chances. I feel intellectually inferior. I am a lazy exerciser. I look to others for validation. I am judgmental.

wow.
Deidre

February 12, 2010 at 6:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

First fault, I am so bad with all things computer that I am not sure if this is even going to post. I am a bad speller! I obsess about my weight. I get nervous when I am talking to people I admire. I am judgmental. Sometimes I don't care about other people's feelings. I feel guilty when I watch too much t.v. I am disorganized and I procrastinate when I don't feel totally inspired to do something. I want to please everyone. I wish that I could change that I HATE getting up at 5:15 every morning. Flat feet.

February 14, 2010 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I forgot a potent one - envy. I'd like to change it to admiration and I am often able to do that but it takes a lot of work on my part.

February 14, 2010 at 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home